Wednesday 24 October 2012

THE ABSOLUTE TRAVEL COLLECTION



the empty snow globe
the color bloc souvenirs





the generic postcards


the standardized experience

I'm doing my thesis on the absurdity of mass tourism. I have been working on the things what we see when we travel and turned them into the utmost absurd possible things I could.

This is how I started an absurd collection of visual supports (postcards, souvenirs, monuments, locals) and set them up as pieces of a primitive museum collection. 
I've made a cabinet de curiosité out of it, because the theory I illustrate is that our travel experience is reduced to visiting a living museum where everything is only a representation of the truth.

The touristic industry makes us believe that what we see is authentic but things are nothing but genuine. Even the locals have to act local and dress up to look authentic...



No comments:

Post a Comment